Most of the major hospitals of the state are attached to the Medical colleges and are provided clinical facilities along with almost all specialist services. They function as referral hospitals to other institutions. Specialities like Surgery, Obstetric, Gynaecology, ENT, Skin and VD, Pathology and Bacteriology, Radiology, Anaesthesia, besides latest modern medical services are few of the features.
Specialized Medical Institutions in Karnataka
Several specialist institutions / hospitals render specialized treatment apart from undertaking research work. A few of them are:
- Kidwai Memorial Cancer Institute, Bangalore
- Sri Venkateswara ENT Institute, Bangalore
- Jayadeva Institute of Cardiology, Bangalore
- All India Institute of Mental health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore
- Institute of Ophthalmology, Bangalore
- Institute of Speech and Hearing, Mysore
- National Tuberculosis Institute, Bangalore
- Lady Wellington Tuberculosis Institute, Bangalore
- Karnataka Institute of Mental Health, Dharwad
- Karnataka Cancer Therapy and Research Institute, Hubli
- Hope Infertility Clinic, Bangalore
General Hospitals are located in all the district headquarters as well as in some important taluk Head Quarters with bed strength varying from 30 to 400. These hospitals provide specialist services such as medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology.
But district hospitals have speciality services like ophthalmology, ENT, pediatrics, orthopedic, skin and STD, bacteriology, radiology, dental etc and have been provided with facilities such as `X’-ray unit, screening and laboratory, blood bank etc., The district hospitals serve as referral hospitals to the peripheral institutions.